Friday 2 March 2012

Our Journey with Cancer Begins

Well it has been such a long time since i have blogged anything. Has been a crazy crazy time in our house lately. 6 Dec i went in for surgery for my endo to get it sorted so this year we could begin more IVF after miscarrying out last embryo. I was so excited to get my surgery done and rock on into the new year feeling great. My surgery went well with my new surgeon very impressed with him. They told me they took a biopsy from around my appendix nothing to worry about so i didnt worry at all. The biopsy come back the following week i had a growth near my appendix that needed to come out and again told nothing to worry about.

As the days went on we come to learn that infact i had a very rare tumour that is known as 'cancer of the appendix' It is a mucus forming cancer produced by the appendex. Still i really wasnt that worried, i found a surgeon here in Nelson and they were confident because it was found very early they would just cut it out and my appendix and i shouldnt have anymore problems. The days leading upto Christmas i had a colonoscopy done which confirmed it hadnt spread to my bowl where the appendix joins the bowel. I then had a CT scan done. Christmas was a few days later so we had to wait until the following week for our CT results. I was feeling a little anxious but not to bad. My surgeon rung me the Wed after Christmas to give me the CT results which where all clear i was very relieved and not worried at all.

2 days later on the Friday morning off i went into hospital for what was a relatively simple procedure to have my appendix and growth removed this was my 13th surgery so a bit of a old hand at the operating table. It seem to take me a long time to come to this time around in the recovery room. It was only 3 weeks after my previous surgery so was a bit hard on the poor body. Later that afternoon my surgeon come to see me to tell me she removed it with out any problems but upon going back in for a good look found some small spots which she was positive was the same cancer the biopsy later confirmed this.

I was told i would need to have agressive treatment with another surgery and chemo, oddly i wasnt fazed at all i just shrugged my shoulders and said oh well shit happens. I wasnt suprised as things never go as planned with me so this didnt come as a shock to me, what did come as a shock is the next sentance from my surgeon that the agressive treatment also means a hysterectomy. This is when my world fell apart.

Been told i had cancer did not phase me in the slightest but been told i will never get to have another baby just broke my heart. I spent New Years in hospital upto my eye balls on morphine, having the 2 surgeries so close together was hard on me and my pain levels were horrific. My whole stomach bruised just from keyhole surgery which hasnt happened to me in the passed. I was sent home New years day with a weeks worth or morphine tablets to manage my pain.

I have been told my cancer is a very slow growing one so i have some time up my sleeve to look at options and come to terms with it all.

More to come about our journey in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment